Welcome to BlackDiabetic.org
BlackDiabetic.org is a physician created website dedicated to the unique needs and concerns of the African American community. Diabetes mellitus is one of the most serious health challenges facing more than 24 million Americans.
Did You Know?
3.7 million; 14.7 percent of all non-Hispanic blacks ages twenty and older have diagnosed and undiagnosed diabetes.
There are 4 times as many African American diagnosed with diabetes today as there were in 1968.
For every 6 white Americans who have diabetes, 10 African Americans have the disease.
African Americans with diabetes are more likely to develop diabetes complications.
1 out of every 4 African American women over the age of 55 is diabetic.
Death rates for people with diabetes are 27 percent higher for blacks compared to whites.
Every 21 seconds someone is diagnosed with diabetes.
1 in 3 Americians could have type 2 diabetes by 2050, according to the CDC.
- Type1 Diabetes Mellitus
- Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus - Overview of disease, symptoms and risk factors affecting African Americans.
- Type 2 Diabetic Mellitus
- Type 2 Diabetic Mellitus - Overview of the disease, symptoms and risk factors affecting African Americans
- Gestational Diabetes Mellitus
- Gestational Diabetes - General description on the symptoms, treatment and risk factors of a condition that can occur during pregnancy.
- Understanding the signs and symptoms of of pre-diabetes.
- Blood Glucose Log Sheet
- One page printable weekly blood glucose log sheet .
- Diabetic Readings
- Understanding how to properly interpet blood sugar testing data.
- Diabetic Symptoms
- List of diabetic symptoms that commonly affect both type 1 and type 2 diabetics.
- Diabetic Complications
- List of diabetic complications affecting the African American community.
- Diabetic Treatments - Managing diabetes with medicine, diet and exercise.
- Medical treatment options for people with all types of diabetes
- Diabetes ID Bracelets
- Medical alert ID bracelets for diabetics.
- Diabetic ID Card
- Free printable Diabetic ID card for your wallet
- Ask The Doc
- Physician answers questions commonly asked by diabetics.
- Diabetic Celebrities
- List of african american celebrities who manage diabetes.
- Sample Diabetic Diet
- Sample Diabetic Diet - Simple 1200 calorie diabetic diet with healthy plate guidelines.
- Medicare and Diabetes
- Explains medicare coverage of most diabetic supplies, such as test strips and monitors.
- Nutrition Labels
- Information on how to read nutrition labels to promote healthy eating habits.
- BMI Calculator
- BMI Calculator - Calculates your Body Mass Index using your current height and weight.
- Calorie Counter
- Calorie Counter - Shows how many calories are burned during exercise such as running, walking, pilates and biking.
- Health care calendar of events targeted for African Americans.
- Sign up and receive free healthcare products.
- About - Dr. Anthony Harris Jr.
- Dr. Anthony Harris Jr. - Physician who co-created BlackDiabetic.org to increase awarness of the affects of diabetes on the African American community.
- Share Our Site
- Diabetes is quickly becoming an epidemic among African Americans. Please share our site to educate others and conquer diabetes.
- Contact Us
- Contact Us Form - Let us know what you think about our website.
- Black Diabetic Blog
- The Black Diabetic blog is a patient-friendly blog for the African American diabetic patient.